Saturday, June 8, 2013

Sabbath Moments - St. Francis and Psalms

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below!

1. Reading some great books right now. Going from book to book. Not my usual way until a few years ago when I changed and started reading a little at a time depending on my mood. I read mostly spiritual books that bring me closer to God and give me sabbath moments. But now I am reading a novel called Chasing Francis, about an evangelical pastor having a crisis of faith and goes to Assisi on a "pilgrimage" with Francis. It reads so much like a true story that I forgot it was fiction! Very moving book.
2. Studying the Psalms, written by Sarah Christmyer with Ascension Press for the Year of Faith. It comes in my email. I get a psalm to read, a reflection and then some reflection questions. Over the years, I have grown to really love the psalms and am enjoying this bible study. Come join us!

7 comments:

Sue Elvis said...

Colleen,

I'm also 'studying the psalms' via email! There is such a wealth of wonderful online spiritual resources.

I like the sound of 'Chasing Francis'. I'm heading straight over to Amazon to see if I can find a copy. Thank you for sharing!

God bless!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you for the book recommendations, Colleen. I tell you, it's better than reading reports from work, (or writing them).

God bless.

Eileen Miller said...

I wish I could read more. I'm not very good at it. I have to have the right kind of book or else I get bored.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

"Chasing Francis" sounds like an interesting read. I've started "The Thought of St. Paul - A Commentary on the Pauline Epistles" by Father William Most. It starts with a brief history of Paul's life which is a lot more hair-raising than the impression I got from his recital in one of the epistles which was hair-raising enough.

Colleen said...

Sue, I agree about the wonderful online resources we have right now. Awesome! Hope you like the book. Hubby is reading it now and loves it too!

Victor, yes, I agree! God bless!

Eileen, I hope you find the right books! Thanks for joining me!

Barb, that book sounds interesting. God bless!

Joann Nelander said...

Thang you, Colleen. I feel time flying by and I need more hours in the day. With all the bad news about, it is amazing how much good is available by reading and allowing the blessings to bless me.

Colleen said...

Joann, I know what you mean, I feel time flying by too. Where does it go?