Sunday, June 9, 2013

We Are God's People

“God has visited his people.” Luke 7:16b
This little sentence really grabbed my heart today.
God has visited His people.
I get the visitation part. And it is not just past tense. God not only walked in the garden with Adam and Eve. He not only walked with his disciples in Jerusalem.
He walks in the gardens of life with all of us. Today. Everyday.
Even when we are not paying attention to God, God pays attention to us. He is even moved to pity for us, like Jesus in this week's gospel. God's mercy and compassion knows no limits. He heals us even when we do not ask for it.
Like this week when I read these words - His people.
I read them and I could not stop thinking about them.
His people. We are His people. We belong to God.
Even if we ignore Him every day of our lives - we are still His people.
I have called you by name: you are mine. Is 43:1b
There was a time when I didn’t think I belonged anywhere, to anyone.
But nowadays I know that is not so. I am not lost. I am found.
I belong to God.
I am His.

Dear Lord, thank you for loving me and healing that part of me that so often feels alone. Help me to remember that I always belong to you, no matter what. And help me to see others as Your people, too. Amen.

6 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

That sense of belonging is really important. As we age we lose people we've known, our parents and various relatives. There are so many lonely people in nursing homes. I feel sad for them. But being Catholic I know I belong to a great family - the Communion of Saints, and the Holy Family, too. And I belong to the Roman Catholic Church with the Holy Father as pastor. If we keep these things in mind, it helps us rise above the daily disappointments we face in relationships. Oh, I forgot my Guardian Angel here. What would I do without him?

These blessings are so astonishing. I grieve for those who spurn God and pray that these people will open their hearts to Him some day.

Colleen said...

Beautiful comment. I pray for all to open their hearts to God too. I never really felt a sense of belonging until I joined the Church. From that day on, all things were new.
Thanks Barb.

Kathleen Basi said...

Barb, my cousin, who works with the elderly, was saying much the same thing, that too many elderly are alone, and don't have that sense of belonging. It's also a reminder to us that we have to do something to make sure we are welcoming everyone to be an integral part of the body of Christ. For me, I know being busy in the parenting years, it's really easy to let other concerns slip.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, I wonder about that. I think about the elderly in nursing homes. So alone. OR those who are homebound. My mother brings people to church. She helps them feel like they belong. I don't think I do enough.

Joann / lioness said...

Lovely thoughts on belonging to God and belonging with God. He gives us a home in his heart and joy for our living. C.S. Lewis said, “And yet all loneliness, angers, hatreds, envies, and itchings that it contains, if rolled into one single experience and put into the scale against the least moment of the joy that is felt by the least in Heaven, would have no weight that could be registered at all. Bad cannot succeed even in being bad as truly as good is good.”

I say "Amen" to your prayer.

Colleen said...

Joann, awesome quote from CS Lewis. Thank you!