Sunday, August 4, 2013

Am I Rich in What Matters to God?

Then (Jesus) said to the crowd, “Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one’s life does not consist of possessions.”  Luke 12:15
I have a smart-phone. When I bought it, I felt it was necessary for me to have one. But I still ask myself from time to time, is it necessary? Or did I just want it?
I don't think there is anything wrong with possessions themselves. It is our attachment that becomes the problem. 

So I have done a lot of praying and pondering about this. And I had not come up with an answer that eased my mind very much.
Until the day I showed one of my sons the apps I have on the phone.
Other than the useful ones like email, phone, calendar and a things-to-do list, most of them were Catholic apps. There is the bible, the rosary, other prayers, the Divine Office, the Roman Catholic calendar of saints, etc. Podcasts are almost all prayer related. And I have ebooks on it, most of them Catholic prayer and spirituality related.
So this fancy phone has certainly made my life easier. And it has helped me with my prayer life, too, believe it or not. I actually have an alarm that reminds me throughout the day to take a moment and just BE with God.
Am I attached? I don't really think so, but I continually ask myself that question in order to guard my heart about this and other possessions.
And I pray.
I pray that my heart is in the right place.
I pray that I am "rich in what matters to God." (Luke 12:21)
Dear Lord, help me to remember to always put you first. Help me to be rich only in what matters to you. May I always know when to let go. May I always guard my heart. Amen.


edited post from 8/1/2010

4 comments :

Jean Wise said...

Colleen you identified the key word: attachments. Very ignition! To be honest though I do love my techy toys and often feel I am attached to them. I have started this year from Sat. evening to Sunday afternoon, fasting from technology so my heart is more focused on God. I was amazed how difficult that was for me at first. Great post!

Colleen said...

Jean, that is a great idea! A way to keep the sabbath! I may need to try that. I have cut down on FB. I stay off it for most of the weekend. God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Think of your iphone as a tiny back pack carrying all those wonderful books and alarms to remind you to stay connected to God. If we lived in a monastery we would have an horarium and bells to remind us of God and call us to prayer. Tools are great helps as long as they don't become an end in themselves. You're making me want an iphone! But it's not in our budget.

Colleen said...

Barb, love that image of my tiny back pack! Thanks. I agree that tools are great and I really use this one! It started out as a toy, I think, but not any more. God bless!