Sunday, August 18, 2013

Set the World on Fire

"I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing." - Luke 12:49
What a statement.
Sometimes I think we picture Jesus as this feel-good person who is always smiling and always gentle and always peaceful.
But when I really think about it, when I see how much He stirs things up, in our families, in our world, in our hearts, I don’t think of Jesus being as much a teddy bear as he is a fire. A blazing, burning fire.
A fire that molds us, changes us, inspires us. A fire that brings conversion and gets us on our feet, ready to carry our cross and follow Jesus wherever he leads us.
Whenever I get that stirred-up feeling and hints of something new coming - some new conversion, some new life, some strong push in a different direction - I don’t get nervous, I get ready.
Jesus is up to something.
Praise God.
Dear Lord, I love it when you stir things up and move me to a new place or a new ministry or a conversion moment of some kind. Come, Lord Jesus, come. And set the world on fire. Amen.

5 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Fire burns away the dross in precious metals. Many biblical references to it are in the nature of purifying action. May we all have the grace to jump into the fire of Jesus' Sacred Heart without a second thought.

I really like the list of things to come from the fire of Christ. Today people go all out for extreme adventure such as crazy roller coasters, sky diving, bungee jumping, riding dangerous rapids. Our adventures with Jesus far surpass those.

Michael said...

Great perspective!

God Bless!

Colleen said...

Barb, amen!

Michael, thank you!

Kathleen Basi said...

I was really struck by that image last weekend, too. The image of fire is one we have really sanitized, forgetting that it's disruptive and uncomfortable. I was struck really strongly by that when I heard this reading.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, I agree with you. We tend to sanitize this image. I think we need to be uncomfortable sometimes. And I like what Barb said in her comment about adventures with Jesus.