Sunday, September 29, 2013

Lord, Heal Me

Jesus said to the Pharisees: “There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day. And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores …" Luke 16:19-20
The Gospel story today is about the rich man and Lazarus, the poor man he ignored. They both die and the rich man ends up in the netherworld and the poor man is free.
And it makes me wonder.
What poor part of me am I ignoring, refusing to feed?
What wounded part of me am I holding back, not bringing it to Jesus, not asking for healing?
What poverty am I hiding from even myself?
Lord, I know I need you. I know I ignore what I do not want to see about myself, the poor me. The hungry me. Help me to bring my sins and wounds and burdens and lay them at your feet. Lord, please help me be free. Amen.


1st posted 2010

9 comments :

Karin said...

I love your perspective on this Gospel passage, Colleen. I never thought about it in terms of looking at my own wounds and poverty that I ignore and hold back from God.
Joining you in your beautiful prayer.
Hugs & blessings!

Colleen said...

Thank you, Karin. I was just thinking of you last night and how I needed to go and visit you! I am finally moved in and ready to get back into the world again. somewhat! :)

Jean Wise said...

wow Colleen, what questions you put out there tonight? I think these could be wonderful questions for a retreat setting or small group discussion. I am writing them in my journal for prayerful pondering.

Colleen said...

Jean, I agree that these would be great for retreats and discussion. Will have to keep that in mind myself.
It is a different way to look at this gospel and I think of my own childhood and how I tried to ignore the hurting child within.
Thanks for your comment!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Like Karen, I've not thought of things this way. It seems that many people cover up their hurts, hiding them from themselves, actually. What we don't realize when we do this is we fail then to recognize their influences on our choices. Real sanity, I think, consists in catapulting ourselves into the arms of Jesus, facing our wounds with Him without fear, and letting Him touch and heal them. This is one of the hardest things for entrenched victims who are fear driven to do, but I think it is the only answer to recovery from anything evil in our lives.

Kathleen Basi said...

I think of who I am failing to see every time I pass a homeless person at the highway intersection. I look at them now, and I'm getting to recognize their faces. I hope that's a good first step.

Colleen said...

Barb, I so agree with you. It took me a long time to get to that place in healing from the child sexual abuse. I lived in denial for a long time in an attempt to protect myself.

Carol@simple_catholic said...

What a great perspective! Thanks for the beautiful reflection.

Colleen said...

Carol, thank you! God bless!

Kathleen, I wonder how many people I am blind to as well. Thanks for the reminder.