Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Really?

I once made the mistake of telling my husband how much the phrase "It is what it is" annoyed me. The next time I saw my sons, they both used it over and over until I thought I was going to go insane.

It has been a few years and they still tease me with it. I would not be surprised if some birthday or Mother's Day, they give me a t-shirt that says "It is what it is."

Just the other day one of my favorite bloggers wrote a post entitled "It Is What It Is." My first reaction was, Oh, no! That dreaded saying has entered my blogging world! Can I ever escape from it?

I wasn't sure I wanted to read it but I love her writing and my curiosity got the best of me. So I read the article and wouldn't you know? She likes the phrase. And not only does she like it, but she uses it as a mantra to help her deal with her busy life.

After reading her article, I googled "overused phrases" and there are a lot of bloggers and columnists who have their favorite list of annoying sayings. And I was really relieved to discover that "It is what it is" was on most of them. In fact one writer traced it back to 2004! I didn’t know it had been around that long. No wonder I am sick of it!

Other annoying cliches included:
"Think outside the box."
"At the end of the day. "
"My bad."

All kidding aside, I must admit that my blogging friend uses the phrase in a good way. She has seen it as a way to accept and let go of the things that she cannot change in her life. She just tells herself - It is what it is. And then lets go.

Not a bad way to use this saying.

And I have to get over the fact that I am not in charge of everyone's vocabulary. I am not the master of the universe. I probably use a few annoying cliches myself.

Maybe I am the one that needs to let go.

I hope by now you all know this is written rather tongue in cheek.

By the way, the writer is Kathleen Basi and she blogs over at "So Much To Say, So Little Time." She is a wife and a mother and a gifted writer and a singer and more. I love reading her blog. She has a great sense of humor and is very open and honest about her life and her struggles and her faith. I highly suggest you mosey on over to read her blog.

Just sayin'.

7 comments :

Karin said...

I know what you mean about over used phrases~my pet peeve one is "Everything happens for a reason." It seems to be used more by people of little to no faith rather than people of faith. We know that all happens for a reason, and we know Whose reason it is. Anyway~enough of my griping.
I like Kathleen's perspective on "it is what it is"; it is a good way to keep us living in the present moment.
Thanks for sharing and for the link to Kathleen's blog.

Kathleen Basi said...

Colleen, it makes my day that a post of mine inspired one for you. :)

Karin, "everything happens for a reason" is an irritant for me, too. People use it to try to explain all sorts of things that should never have happened, but did because sinful human beings are doing things they Should Not Be Doing. And then God gets the blame. No wonder so many people don't believe!

Colleen said...

Karin, I agree with both you and Kathleen about that phrase. It is like a fingernail on a chalkboard.

Kathleen, I am glsd I made your day. You made mine, too. :)

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I enjoyed this post. My mind is vacant right now. I can't think of any irritating phrases. But I'll be sure not to use any of the ones mentioned here at my blog!

Colleen said...

Barb, I dont know why I missed commenting on your comment, but here it is - lol. (Some people find lol annoying, too)
:)
Just sayin.

Spiro said...

At the end of the day when the dust settles and it's all said and done, people are going to annoy you. Just keep your head held high, your back to the wind, and eyes on what's in front of you in order to move on, chill out, and get by. Because when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Don't cast stones because others can't think outside the box. If you walk a mile in their shoes, I'm sure you'll see through their eyes that they think, "My bad." Really it all boils down to one thing: it is what it is.

Thanks for the gift idea.

Colleen said...

Spiro, I just knew I should not have written that about the t-shirt. Darn.
Very good comment however. Did you fit enough of them in?
:)