Saturday, October 26, 2013

Sabbath Moments - God's Gifts

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below!

Sunset
I spent last weekend alone while my deacon hubby served on a Cursillo weekend. I walked out onto our lanai and behold! A sunset! The clouds were shaped funny, like the eye of a hurricane!


Moonlight
That same evening, I walked out onto the lanai again to get something and I was surprised by a beautiful full moon! I did not get a picture but I was just in awe of how beautiful it looked and I just had to sit and stare at it for a little while. God is good. And He knows what gets my attention!!

Sacrament of Reconciliation
I went to confession last weekend. Always a blessing. Always a sabbath moment. Such a  gift that Jesus gave us. To experience God's mercy and love brings feelings that words cannot describe.
Every time I go to confession, every time I talk or write about confession, I remember something a priest said in a homily years ago. He said that sacraments are celebrations of what has already taken place.
In the sacrament of reconciliation, when we go to confession, God has already forgiven us. The sacrament celebrates that forgiveness. As in the Prodigal Son, God cannot wait until we come home. Once He sees us headed His way, he runs to meet us and then throws us a party. The sacrament of reconciliation is that "party." That celebration. That welcome home.
That encounter with Christ.
A lot of people do not go to confession or have not been in years. I often give this explanation as a way of helping them to see that this not something to fear. This is a great gift. A healing, loving way to experience Jesus.
Thank you, Lord.

4 comments :

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Glad to be visiting here again. God bless.

Colleen said...

I am glad too, Victor! Hope you are feeling better. God bless.

Carol@simple_catholic said...

Beautiful picture of the sunset. They always lift my heart up to God, too.

I like that statement by the priest about Confession. I'm a little strange, I guess, but I always look forward to going to Confession. I feel so happy and "clean" afterward. :)

Colleen said...

Carol, thank you. I love going to confession, too. A beautiful sacrament that Jesus has given to us.