Sunday, November 3, 2013

Jesus Heals

For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save what is lost. (Luke 19:10)
Jesus changed Zacchaeus' life.
Jesus came into his life and asked to dine with him. He didn't ask Zacchaeus to change first. He loved him the way he was.
Zacchaeus encountered Christ. Then he was healed.
Is there a lesson here for me?
Pope Francis said something similar in his interview … that we have to heal the wounds first and then we can talk about everything else.
So how do I treat sinners, especially the "public" ones? Do I welcome them first? Do I treat them with love and compassion? Do I invite them to the Table of the Lord?
Or do I judge them?
Do I ask them to be "perfect" first? Do I want them to "change" first?
Jesus came to heal the sick. Do I forget that? And what about me?
Do I go to church because I am a saint? Or do I go to church because I am a sinner and I know I need God?
Fr. Ron Rolheiser writes in his book, Against An Infinite Horizon - "... that going to eucharist is not a moral statement. We go to eucharist because we need health, not because we are healthy."

 
Lord, help me to see others through your eyes. Help me to welcome the stranger and the sinner. Help me to bring your love to all. Amen.


edited post from 10/31/10

4 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

As an adult I can see how childish kids are when they are hurt and say to their friends in so many words, "I'll be your friend only if you ..." Jesus didn't put any conditions on Zacheus. He just said He was coming for dinner. I think Jesus often "comes for dinner", and in the light of His love our eyes and hearts are opened. We just have to pray for the grace to know it's Him when He shows up.

Colleen said...

Amen, Barb. Beautifully said.

Mary N. said...

Hi Colleen,
Beautiful post! Where would any of us be if love and mercy didn't come first? I've always loved the story of Zacchaeus! Actually, I love all the Bible passages where Jesus meets people where they are at and I love all the "wicked" saints the best. Well, except for St. Therese - she is just lovable period :) (Oh yeah, and St. Pio and St. Teresa too because he was grumpy and she was spacey. I love flaws in people as weird as that sounds...lol.)

But I digress...

Colleen said...

Mary, love your comment. Brought a smile to my face!! You can digress all you want!