Saturday, November 2, 2013

Sabbath Moments - Watch and Pray

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below!

Watching
Watching the sunset ... pretty pink and orange clouds ... Watching the world around me fall asleep. No breeze ... Clouds and palm trees perfectly still. Peaceful. Our new place is finally becoming home to me ...

Conversation
Sat with my mother on the dock behind my condo. Talking and sharing. Watching the boats go by. Mom has gone back home now after a visit that seemed too short, but my mind goes back to remembering that moment on the dock. Again a feeling of peace.

Jesuit Prayer
There is a Jesuit Prayer app which is really awesome. It has the day's reading gospel reading, an Ignatian reflection and an Ignatian prayer. It is free and I am enjoying it. You can also read it online as well. The prayers are beautiful.

Taize
We sing a beautiful Taize song at our church on Holy Thursday called Watch & Pray (I think). The choir sings it acappella after the Blessed Sacrament is brought into the chapel for adoration. Seems like watching is my theme this week for sabbath moments and I found the song on YouTube. Enjoy for a sabbath moment of your own. It is 10 min long so just watch as long as you wish. The same lyrics repeat over and voer.




4 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

So glad you had a wonderful visit with your mother and you both got to see the relics of St. Therese.

The Taize chant is lovely and peaceful to listen to. The harmonies are beautiful.

Colleen said...

Barb, thank you! It was a wonderful visit. I am glad you liked the chant. It is beautiful.

Kathleen Basi said...

That is one I've done many times. The most powerful thing (albeit liturgically inappropriate) I've ever done was the night our music director had our choir sing that over and over as people were leaving on Holy Thursday--probably to try to keep people from the loud talking on the way out. It went on and on and on and on...I think we sang that chant for forty minutes. And at some point the church doors closed, and silence fell over the church, with that chant pulsing against it. It was a truly holy moment.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, thanks for sharing that. I can only imagine. Sounds powerful.