Sunday, December 29, 2013

God Guides Us

"Stay there until I tell you." - Matthew 2:13b
How scary that had to be. To be sent to a foreign land, a strange place, far from home and family.
What trust Joseph and Mary had, to believe in the words of an angel in a dream.
Would I have listened to those words? How many messages from God have I ignored or dismissed as just my imagination?
God usually speaks to us in ways we recognize. The more time we spend with the Lord in prayer, the more time we spend with the Lord in silence, listening, the easier it is to recognize His voice, the way He speaks to us.
But that does not mean that God cannot speak to us in a different way. That does not mean that God's guidance cannot come from a different direction. God is God. We cannot put limitations on how He can speak to us.
So I guess we need to be alert. We need to be listening all the time. Because we just never know where God's guidance will come from.
What we do know, however, is that our God is the God of second chances. And if we miss the message the first time, God will invite us again.
We can always count on that.
We can always count on God.
Emmanuel.

Dear Lord, I may not always hear you or understand you. Or I may be too afraid to do as you ask. Help me to hear you better. Help me to trust you better. Thank you, Lord, for never giving up on me. I love you. Amen.

9 comments :

Nancy Shuman said...

We can always count on God. Amen!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Love this reflection. Amen to the prayer. Jesus promised us that if we asked, sought, and knocked that He would answer us. We have to be quiet and prayerful like Joseph and Mary to hear the answer.

Colleen said...

Nancy, thank you!

Barb, thank you. And I liked your words - "quiet and prayerful." Amen!

Kathleen Basi said...

I think about this fairly often. There's always this focus on people following irrational things in faith, and it's given me a complex, a feeling that the unreasonable is the truest vision of God, and that's been a very damaging concept. I like your idea that God speaks to us in the most familiar. I think I may blog on this...

Michael Seagriff said...

We would all be wise to adopt this prayer as our own!

Thank you for such a beautiful reflection.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, oh I am glad you are going to blog about it! It is one of my favorite subjects, especially in my ministry of spiritual direction. Some people tend to look for God in the BIG things, or unusual. In my case, it is usually the everyday stuff. For example, God tends to nag (through other people or events) when he wants me to do or say something. And I mean it in the most affectionate way. :)

Carol@simple_catholic said...

Amen! Beautiful reflection and prayer.

Carol@simple_catholic said...

Beautiful reflection and prayer, Colleen.

Colleen said...

Carol, thank you!