Sunday, January 26, 2014

Who is Our Light?

Jesus said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.” At once they left their nets and followed him. - Matthew 4:19-20
Jesus is our Light.
In Jesus' name we fish. Not in our own name, or in the name of some beloved priest or author.
We fish in the name of Christ. We keep our eyes focused on the Lamb.
We spend time with Jesus. We worship Him. And then we go and we bring His Light to others. So we too can be fishers of people.
To do this, we need to leave our nets and follow Jesus. We need to leave behind those things that hold us back from loving unconditionally. We need to leave behind those things that are not of God.
It is not easy to do. We are only human. We argue. We judge. We, sisters and brothers in Christ, do not always get along.
Neither did the Twelve.
So maybe we just need to remember. Maybe, when we start judging each other too harshly, or argue too loudly, we need to stop and ask ourselves:
Who do we have in common?
Who do we belong to?
Who is our Light, our Lamb, our Lord?

Jesus, You are my Lord and my God. When I start to think my way is the only way, help me to remember that I belong to You. And only You. Jesus, You are the Lord of my life. Amen.

5 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

The older I get the more I realize that I must not judge others but rather let God do His job. It doesn't mean I should not witness to the truth, but that I am not here to boss others around and force my ideas on anyone. Your post shows that the most difficult detachment is from our egos. Way too often I am obscuring the light, not leading others to the light.

Jean Wise said...

My mom always reminded me not to judge yet I fall into it so easily. Good reminder Colleen. and Yes we fish!!

Colleen said...

Barb, I know what you mean. And even when I realize it, not too much time goes by and I am back to obscuring the light again. Sigh. But we are blessed with a God who love us.

Jean, yes, we fish!! Praise God.

Joann / lioness said...

It's good to remember the twelve argued and at times failed to get the message straight.
When we get tired of messing up we sometimes think God is tired of forgiving us, but "The Lord never tires of forgiving," the pope said . "It is we who tire of asking for forgiveness."

Colleen said...

Joann, I love those words of the Pope. That is so true isnt it? And I know I forget the twelve were not perfect. It is good to remember. Thank you!