Thursday, February 13, 2014

Alone with God - An Excerpt

This post is brought to you by the letter 'L' !!!

An excerpt from my new ebook:



"Listen and attend with the ear of your heart." - St. Benedict, Rule of St. Benedict

The first word of the Rule of St. Benedict, in the Prologue, is "Listen."

I have always thought of myself as a good listener. I am a spiritual director and I need to listen to my directees when they come to meet with me and share their spiritual journey with me. I would not be much help if I didn't listen. We spiritual directors need to listen to the person speak and to the Holy Spirit speaking in her/him as well as in us.
I am a wife and I need to listen to my husband. I need to share in his life and his thoughts and his dreams. The same with my children. What do I miss when I don't listen?
I am a parish secretary and I need to listen to those who call the office looking for answers or solutions or prayers or comfort or just someone who will listen. 
I wonder, and I ponder, when it is just you and me, Lord, do I listen? Do I listen to you when I pray? Do I listen to you in the silence? Do I listen to you in the events of my day and the people I meet? What do I miss when I don't listen?

In prayer, more is accomplished by listening than by talking. Let us leave to God the decisions as to what shall be said. - St. Francis de Sales


8 comments :

Mary N. said...

Thank you for the excerpt from your book, Colleen! I loved it!



Happy Valentine's Day! Blogger is giving out great Word verifications
today: true love :) For the second time today!

Colleen said...

Mary, thank you!
That word verification is awesome! You do get the best ones!! :)
God bless you.

Joann Nelander said...

Beautiful excerpt, Colleen. Listening is so essential to relationship with God and others."He who has ears to hear let him hear."

Colleen said...

Joann, thank you!

Kathleen Basi said...

That final quote was just what I needed this morning. Thank you.

Joann / Lioness said...

I found this in the Liturgy of the Hours this morning and thought of you, Colleen:
"God’s word offers different facets according to the capacity of the listener, and the Lord has portrayed his message in many colors, so that whoever gazes upon it can see in it what suits him. Within it he has buried manifold treasures, so that each of us might grow rich in seeking them out."
It's from St. Ephrem's, God’s word is an inexhaustible spring of life Which I just had to post since it started my day with joy.

Colleen said...

Joann, that is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it with me. It fills me with joy as well!

Colleen said...

Kathleen, you are welcome! That is a great quote. I was glad to find it as I often need to remember that.