Sunday, February 9, 2014

Let Our Light Shine

"Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father." - Matthew 5:16
We are the light of the world.
Jesus tells us this.
Jesus tells us that we cannot hide our light. We cannot put it under a bushel basket.
We cannot pretend to be someone else.
We cannot hide the gifts we were given.
We cannot hide who we are.
For we are children of God. And so, we must let our light shine. The light God gave each of us. We must let it shine so others will see (not us)... so others will see our Father in heaven.

Dear God, I know I sometimes let my light dim. I hide from others the gifts you have given me, the person you created me to be. I hide the light from others and I hide the light from myself, too. Sometimes I get scared. Help me to come out of hiding. Help me to remember that there is no light without you. Amen.

6 comments :

Michael said...

God Bless you Colleen!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

It's sometimes hard to step forward and let our light shine, especially if we are the type to like being quiet in the dark. But any light that is ours is only because it is Jesus shining through us. We are the prism that, with our uniqueness, casts warmth and beauty and His glory to those He puts in our path. This is a lot less scary to me to think this way.

Colleen said...

Barb, you wrote a beautiful comment here. You should post it to your blog! Thanks and God bless!

Colleen said...

Michael, thank you!

Joann Nelander said...

The encouragement you give with this post, Colleen, called to mind a sermon from John the serene saying:The spiritual man who has been thus illumined does not limp or leave the path, but bears all things. Glimpsing our true country from afar, he puts up with adversities; he is not saddened by the things of time, but finds his strength in God. He lowers his pride and endures, possessing patience through humility.

I need the constancy of confirmation and frequent reminders.

Colleen said...

Joanne, that is a great quote. Thank you!