Sunday, February 23, 2014

Love Your Enemies

"But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust." - Matthew 5:44-45

Love your enemies. This is such a hard thing to do. So very hard.  But what really touches me is verse 45 - he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good...
We are always tempted to think that we can earn our way into heaven. OR that God loves us best because we are Catholic or we never committed a crime or... whatever.
God is not about crime and punishment, an eye for an eye, tit for tat.
God loves all of us, every single last one of us.
God loves people we do not consider very lovable. Which means that God loves us even when WE are not very lovable.
Thank goodness.

Lord, I love you with all my heart. Help me to love those who are unlovable. Help me to love my enemies. And please, God, help me to learn to love myself. Amen.


from Pondering the Word Year A

13 comments :

Michael said...

Thank goodness indeed. His love is incredible and unfathomable.

Colleen said...

Thank you Michael!

Victor Moubarak said...

You're so right Colleen. God loves all of us. It is we who often don't love Him back enough.

God bless.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

It seems to me that the greatest thing we can do is "pray for those who persecute you" if we cannot love them in any other way. That "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do" is a hard lesson to learn because none of us wants to see ourselves as anything but loveable and yet, we know we sin and at times behave in unloveable ways. How awful life would be if God treated us the way we often treat those who sin against us.

Colleen said...

Victor, amen. God bless.

Barb, I agree. I try to remember that. I pray for those who have hurt me. It is the greatest thing we can do, with the grace of God. God bless.

Joann Nelander said...

Colleen, when having trouble praying for an enemy there is always Roman 12:"Do not repay anyone evil for evil; be concerned for what is noble in the sight of all.If possible, on your part, live at peace with all. Beloved, do not look for revenge but leave room for the wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”
Rather, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head.”r
21
Do not be conquered by evil but conquer evil with good.

Colleen said...

Thanks Joann, God bless!

Michael Seagriff said...

Colleen:

We forget that He loves everyone. It is good to recall that truth from time to time.

This reminds me of a one sentence sermon I once read: "What if God love me only as much as I loved Him?"

Colleen said...

Michael, I had heard that one-liner before. Really stops to make us think doesn't it? God bless!

Carol@simple_catholic said...

Wonderful post, Colleen.

I've noticed that for some people, their biggest "enemy" is themselves. It is extremely hard to forgive others who have hurt us and sometimes it is even harder to to forgive ourselves. We have to remember that God can forgive even us when we have screwed up!

Colleen said...

Carol, thank you for your visit! I agree. It is often harder to forgive ourselves. God's mercy is everlasting though. We need to remember that and remind each other!

Kathleen Basi said...

Every single time I finish a decade of the rosary and say, "...especially those who have the greatest need of thy mercy," I have a moment of conflict. I know I'm growing because I no longer fill in the blank with a name for someone I think belongs there; I think of myself. I'm trying so hard to remove people from the rosters of "enemies."

Colleen said...

Kathleen, oh my, I have never thought of putting my own name in there. Thank you!!