Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Look of Joy

“Now, Master, you may let your servant go in peace, according to your word,
for my eyes have seen your salvation, which you prepared in sight of all the peoples,
a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and glory for your people Israel." Lk 2:29-32
Have you seen the Ron DiCianni picture of Simeon holding the baby Jesus? It is called "Simeon's Moment." When I first saw it a few years ago, tears filled my eyes immediately. I was overcome by the look on Simeon's face. It was the look of pure joy.
I can only imagine how Simeon felt. After years of waiting for the Messiah, after being promised that he would live to see Him, to finally see Him. The Savior of the World.
I can only imagine.
I too have felt that pure joy in my life. It is that joy that only God can give. It is that joy I feel whenever I encounter the Christ in my life.
Emmanuel: God-with-us.
And when I encounter Jesus and experience that pure joy, I call it a Simeon moment.
Can you think of times you have felt that pure joy when experiencing God? Can you think of your own Simeon moments?

Dear Lord, thank you for the all of the Simeon moments of my life. Help me to be aware of those moments when I encounter Jesus in my everyday life. May I feel that same joy Simeon did. Amen.


1st published in 2011

7 comments :

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Wonderful post full of hope. Thanx.

God bless.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

What a lovely way to put it - the Simeon moment. Beautiful art has a similar effect on me - making me think and pulling me into God. Thanks for the name of the painting. I will look for it so that I may see what you see.

Mary N. said...

No, I had never seen "Simeon's Moment" but I have now! I googled it after I read your post - very beautiful! Thanks, Colleen!

Colleen said...

I meant to link to the picture. I will do so now!

Colleen said...

Victor, thank you!

Barb, I feel the same way about art. I put a link to the picture in the post.

Mary, thank you! It just grabs my heart every time I see it.

Michael said...

Colleen - I thought a lot about Simeon's reaction this weekend. I had never seen this image though - I agree with you - it is really moving.

God Bless you.

Colleen said...

Michael, the first time I saw the picture (it was in an art book), I broke into tears! It just grabbed me when I turned the page and saw the look on his face and realized who it was.
Will we look like that when we see His face?
God bless!