Sunday, March 30, 2014

I Do Believe

When Jesus heard that they had thrown him out, he found him and said, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?"
He answered and said, "Who is he, sir, that I may believe in him?"
Jesus said to him, "You have seen him and the one speaking with you is he."
He said, "I do believe, Lord," and he worshiped him. - John 9:35-38
The man who had been born blind was thrown out by the Pharisees and Jesus went to find him. Why? To make sure the man believed? Was there really any doubt when, after being interrogated by the Pharisees, the man continued to speak the truth?
Each of us is important to Jesus. He loves us all all, even the Pharisees among us. But he knows we sometimes need to remind ourselves and others that we really do see. We really do have faith.
Sometimes we too need to have our eyes opened.
Sometimes we too need to make a profession of faith and say, Yes, I believe.
I love that Jesus went out after that man, because He went out after me, too. I have believed in Jesus my whole life. But I lived a lukewarm faith until the day my eyes were opened about the Eucharist and the Catholic Church.
Over 20 years ago, I made my Profession of Faith at the Easter Vigil and became Catholic. And my life has never been the same.
Jesus spoke to me and I said, "I do believe, Lord."
When others interrogate you or insult you about your faith or your beliefs, what will you say when Jesus asks you to make a profession of faith?

Jesus, help me to keep my eyes and my heart open to you always. Help me to say to others and to you, Yes, Lord, I believe.


from Pondering the Word Year A

7 comments :

Michael said...

Lovely image of Jesus going out to find the blind man ... and us. Nice post Colleen!

God Bless you.

Karin said...

Colleen, I too like that image of Jesus going in search of the blind man. As you said in your reflection-he comes in search of all of us. We need to have the scales fall from our eyes to see and believe that He is searching for us.

Colleen said...

Michael, thank you! God bless!

Karin, I agree. It is so comforting to know that Jesus searches for us. Hugs and blessings!

Michael Seagriff said...

Even when we hide from Him, He knows where we are and waits patiently for us. Great reflection, Colleen. Thank you.

Colleen said...

Michael, Yes, God does wait for us. We are blessed. Thanks for your comment!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

What's so great about Jesus going out and looking for us is that His approach to each of us is as unique and we are. What He does for one is not the same as another. When leading others to Jesus I often forget that His ways are not mine and that there is no "one size fits all". Sometimes God means for us to bring a person a little way on the journey to Him and then we need to get out of His way as He takes over.

Colleen said...

Barb, yes. Amen!! Mother Teresa said that she often prayed to be able to get out of God's way. Guess we are not alone!