Sunday, March 2, 2014

Seek God First

"But seek first the kingdom (of God) and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides. Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for a day is its own evil." Matthew 6:33-34
Oh gosh. I am such a worrier.
I worry about lots of little things and I worry about big things and I even worry about worrying.
I also worry a lot about tomorrow and what it will bring. I have to keep reminding myself that I need to live in the present moment. Because that is where God is.
When the day is over, all I can do is let go. Ah, but that is the rub isn't it? We can only let go if we trust. And trusting is not an easy thing to do.
I remember once reading a reflection by Thomas Merton who was writing about a beautiful summer afternoon and he said - "This day will never come again."
This phrase really grabbed my heart and I have not forgotten it. I am far from knowing how to live it out perfectly, but I try to remember it whenever I realize I am worrying about tomorrow yet again.
Worry wastes the gift of today that God has given us, a day we can never get back. Worry leads us to focus on ourselves rather than focus on God.
Seek God first and the rest will be given to us.
This day will never come again.

Dear Lord, please help me to remember to let go of my worries. Help me to trust in you more, Lord, and to think about myself less. Help me to put you first in all I think, do and say. Amen.


from Pondering the Word Year A

9 comments :

Victor Moubarak said...

You have been tagged for the LENT MEME on my Blog

God bless.

Karin said...

I couldn't agree more with all you said here, Colleen. While I have gotten a little better in the worry dept. it still creeps in sometimes. It's then I try to remember this Scripture passage and all Jesus had to say about worrying.
Joining you in your prayer today.
Hugs & Blessings!

Michael said...

It always sounds so easy on paper - but is so hard to put into practice!

God Bless you!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Worrying a lot is something I learned from my mother who was raised during the Great Depression. But worrying messed up my prayer life and my daily life. One day I finally made the connection between the Divine Mercy, "Jesus, I trust in You", and what I was doing wrong. Now, every time I'm aware that I'm worrying, I make a conscious effort to turn it over to Him in full confidence that things will turn out the way He wants them to if I just get out of the way and quit stressing over whatever is bothering me which I can't do anything about anyway. It would be great not to worry in the first place, but I'm not there yet.

Colleen said...

It is so awesome how Jesus knows us so well and knows what we need.
Hugs and blessings, Karin!

Colleen said...

Barb, I so understand what you are saying. And I am not there yet either!

Colleen said...

Victor, thank you!

Michael, you can say that again! :)

Mary N. said...

I smiled at the "I even worry about worrying" comment, Colleen. I have done this too...lol. Thanks for the reminder to focus on God and live in today instead of the future or past. Great post!

Colleen said...

Mary, thank you! Funny that we worry about worrying. I dont think we are alone with that either.