Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Who is in Charge Here?

Never say never. That is what “they” say. So true, of course but we don’t always pay attention to such sayings as these. In the spiritual life, we often forget who is in charge. I know I do.
I am  a Benedictine Oblate. I felt called to the Benedictine spirituality many years ago and became a Benedictine oblate back in 2000. It was at the monastery where I was attending classes to be certified as a spiritual director.
I have often talked to my directees about the need to listen and to follow the Holy Spirit. The Spirit calls us to follow a certain path and then changes that path many times over. We who have been on the spiritual journey for a long time chuckle over that somewhat. Indeed our paths often go in directions we could never have predicted.
For years I have said that the Ignatian way is not for me. I did not feel drawn to the Ignatian spirituality or form of prayer. I did not feel drawn to Ignatian contemplation. Oh, I love how Jesuits write and speak about finding God in our daily lives. 


read more (or listen) at my podcast site ...
 

No comments :