Thursday, June 26, 2014

Burned Out

I went on retreat with my husband for 4 days at a Trappist monastery in Georgia. I wish to share some of it with all who read my blog. This first part is also a podcast if you would like to listen to it at Finding God in the Everyday. - Colleen
 
I was feeling exhausted. Overwhelmed. Stressed. Working too hard in all areas of my life, I was pretty much burned out. I had been running on empty for far too long. I kept praying that I would get the rest I needed during my upcoming vacation.
We started our vacation with a retreat. I had wanted to end with the retreat, hoping it would send me home in a peaceful frame of mind. However, we couldn’t get the dates to work out right so on day one of our trip, we drove up to a Trappist monastery in Georgia to begin a retreat on the Eucharist. I couldn’t wait to get there.
We arrived a little too early so we stopped at the Catholic gift store they have there. There were a lot of books there, so naturally I gravitated to that section of the store. I looked at one of the first shelves of books I saw and a little book grabbed my attention.
It was called, “The Art of Pausing, Meditations for the Overworked and Overwhelmed.”(by Judith Valente, Brother Paul Quenon and Michael Bever)
Honest. I am not kidding.
I quickly thumbed through it and just knew I had to have it. So I bought it and it has brought me comfort and fed my soul.
I am still reading it. A little at a time. There is no need to rush.
So, if I ever think that God does not care about the little bitty stuff I go through in my daily life, I just need to remember that day.
And that book.

7 comments :

Sue Elvis said...

Colleen,

I really enjoyed listening to your podcast. It was good to hear your voice which I found very easy to listen to, despite the differences in our accents!

Oh yes, God is interested in all the little things of our lives. Though I guess being overwhelmed and exhausted isn't that little at all. I'm glad to hear you found just what you needed with God's help.

Maria said...

See! God knew just what you needed, just at that time! Thank you for sharing your retreat...for those of us who are unable to go on one at this time, we can learn through your experience.

Colleen said...

Sue, I forgot we had different accents! :)
I write the blog-Finding God in the Everyday. And then I forget to look. I needed the reminder. God is good.

Maria, I don't know why I'm always amazed when God does this. Amazed and grateful beyond words. I needed the reminder that he really cares about our everyday lives and problems.

Nancy Shuman said...

I loved this. God watches over us so well - in all the details!

Colleen said...

Nancy, yes He does! God is good!

Michael Seagriff said...

Colleen:

Welcome back. We have missed you.

How patient and persistent our loving Lord is as He invites us along His path to joy and happiness. I know from my own experience that when I yield to His promptings, only good comes from it. How foolish of me to so frequently forget that truth.

Thank you for bringing this truth to life.

Colleen said...

Michael, thank you for your kind words! I frequently forget that truth as well. And yet I blog about it! Arent we humans funny?