Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Deo Gratias - Thank God for the Fleas!


"If the only prayer you ever say in your life
 is thank you, it will be enough." - Meister Eckhart

Deo Gratias is Latin for "Thanks be to God." Remembering to give thanks for all of our blessings, big and small, helps us to find God in our everyday moments and gives us an attitude of gratitude! I invite you to share your blessings here on Wednesdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below and grab the button.

1. Did you ever read anything about or by Corrie ten Boom? She tells a story about being in a Nazi concentration camp and her barracks was overrun by fleas. Her sister said that they have to thank God for everything, even the fleas. Corrie doesn't think much of that but she thanks God anyway. Turns out, the guards never come in to check on them because they don't like the fleas! So they are able to conduct bible study without worrying they might be caught! Well, that is a long way of telling you that I am over-run by gnats at home. And I am trying to thank God for the gnats because there must be a good reason for us to have these. I just can't think of a good reason right now but I will thank God for that wonderful story. I told my sons that story when they were little and whenever things went wrong for them, they would say, thank God for the fleas! ... Deo gratias!

2. I love my job through the good and the bad. And no matter what, I am so grateful to be able to work and put food on the table. Deo gratias!

3. Thank you Lord, for the diaconate program in our diocese. My husband is a deacon and now another member of our parish who has been in formation is one step closer to ordination. Deo gratias!

4. Thank you, Lord, for my children and grandchildren and stepchildren. I am blessed. Deo gratias!

5. If you do not see me here on my blog over next couple of weeks, I may take a "blogcation." Just a short one. Maybe. Thank you Lord for blogs and for my blogging buddies! Deo gratias!

 
Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Auto-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
If this widget does not appear, click here to display it.

12 comments :

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the gnats bring a dragonfly swarm! That's something to thank Him for. Dragonflies are beautiful.

Colleen said...

I would love to see that!

Maria said...

I've never read her book, but I have heard that story of the fleas. I've been trying to rejoice in all things this year using Philippians 4:4 as my base verse. It's really helped change my focus, esp. when feeling down or negative.

Maria said...

P.S.
OOPS! I just realized that I'm a day late this week. Where did my Wednesday go? LOL

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Noah knew what he was doing when he saved the fleas and the gnats. But why did he save the wasps?

The woodpeckers nearly sank his boat!!!

God bless.

Nancy Shuman said...

I have long loved the account of the fleas.. I'm so glad you reminded us of it today! Perfect timing for me. Maybe it's time for me to read The Hiding Place again; I always love it.

Colleen said...

Maria, you must behaving the same kind of week I am!! Thanks for joining me. You can link up any day you want!! :)

Victor, a good question. :)

Nancy, I need to read it again too. A great book eh? Thank you for visiting!

Susan said...

A friend gave me her book. Now you've reminded me of it and I'll read it this summer. Thanks!

Colleen said...

Susan, awesome! Hope you enjoy it.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Love the gnat story. When I think of all the poor around the world living in squalid conditions, I thank God for every annoyance in my life because I have food, shelter, and clothing which many others lack. He has chosen to bless me, now I must ask Him to bless them.

Maria said...

Had to come back & share...We were at a thrift store today & I found a hardbound copy of The Hiding Place for only 90 cents! What a God-incidence!

Colleen said...

Maria, that is so awesome! Love it!

Barb, I love your prayer too!