Sunday, June 8, 2014

Receive the Holy Spirit

Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the holy Spirit." - John 20:21-22
The Holy Spirit. The breath of God.
Ruah. Hebrew word for spirit, or breath. Sounds like a gentle wind when you say it. Ruah.
I have had little understanding of the Holy Spirit for most of my life. After converting to the Catholic Church, I had grown closer to Jesus and the Father. But the Third Person of the Trinity was an unknown to me. I understood in my head who he was. But the personal relationship? Well, I didn't know how to have one.
Then about 15 years ago, when I started going to a charismatic prayer group, I began to have a better understanding of the Holy Spirit. And I saw the gifts. I saw the gifts in others and began to experience them in myself.
I experienced the gentleness of the Spirit. And began to really believe in God's love for me.
The Holy Spirit. The Love between the Father and the Son. The Spirit of Truth that helps me to witness about my childhood of abuse and how God has helped me. The Spirit that helps me to do spiritual direction and other ministries.
The Spirit that speaks to my heart when I take the time to sit in silence and listen.
The gentle breeze.
Ruah.
Dear Lord, thank you for the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Thank you for the Catholic Church. Help me to hear the whisper and feel the gentle breeze of your love for me and for all of us, your children. Amen. 


reposted from 6/12/11

2 comments :

Karin said...

Happy belated Pentecost, Colleen. I know what you mean about the Holy Spirit. Sometimes I think that the image of the dove so often used gets in our way. After all it is kind of hard to have devotion to a bird :)You said that when you began going to charismatic prayer group that you saw the Holy Spirit at work. I think that is the key- we need to experience Him in order to develop a relationship with Him. Joining you in your prayer.
Hugs & Blessings!

Colleen said...

Karin, thank you! Happy Pentecost to you too!
I agree - we need to experience Him. Then everything changes He makes all things new!