Sunday, June 29, 2014

Who Do You Say That I Am?

(Jesus) said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” (Matthew 16:15-16)

Jesus has so many names. Shepherd is one of my favorites. And there is Teacher. Messiah. Savior. Healer. Lord. Friend. So many more.

But Jesus did not just ask that question 2000 years ago. And he does not just ask that question of his apostles.
Jesus asks us that same question. Every single day. He looks into our hearts and he whispers to us:
Who do you say that I am?
Do we hear that question? And if we do, how do we answer?
Our answer may change from day to day. We may relate to him in different ways, depending on where we are in our spiritual life.
I am not sure the answer is as important as the question. And the prayer it invokes in us.
And the knowledge that Jesus wants to know.
And He does want to know. He asks each of us: 

Who do you say that I am?

Jesus, you are my friend, my savior. You are my "everything." You are my "all in all." You are my life and my reason for being. Help me to remember that, Lord. Help me to love you like that. Help me to live like that. Amen.

2 comments :

Jean Wise said...

I thought it was interesting you wrote - do you hear him ask? wow what a neat thought that everyday Jesus asks us that question. I think that could frame our quiet time in a new light if we pondered that. Great post, Colleen

Colleen said...

Jean, thank you! This is one of those gospel verses that speaks to me again and again. And that question!!