Sunday, August 24, 2014

Who Do You Say That I Am?


… And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church … (Mt 16:18)

I reflect on my relationship with the Church and with Peter. I remember when I went to RCIA classes to become Catholic and how amazed I was to learn about the church and Peter and the apostolic succession.
I think about the troubles of the church in recent years, with the sexual abuse scandal and the abuse of authority by a few bishops and priests in the church. But I know the majority of bishops and priests are good and holy people. And I know the gates of hell will not prevail against the church.
I worry about some of the divisions in the Catholic Church these days and the quarreling that seems to be going on among some of us. I cannot help but think that while diversity can be good, charity seems to be missing in some places.
So after all this pondering, how do I answer this question from Jesus?

“But who do you say that I am?” (Mt 16:15)

I have to answer it the same way Peter did -
You are the Christ, the son of the living God.
You are the one who will heal us and help us to grow more loving.
You are the one who will save us and unite us and love us no matter what.
You are the one who will make all things new.

Lord, I love you with all my heart. You are all things to me. You are my everything. Help me to love and serve the little ones among us. Help me to love like you love. Please give our Holy Father wisdom, strength and love. Guide his hands and heart, Jesus. Guide all of our shepherds. Amen.