Sunday, October 19, 2014

Who Comes First?

At that (Jesus) said to them, "Then repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God." Matthew 22:21
I think it comes down to choice.
Who and what do we choose to do? And how do our choices reflect on our lives as Christians?
Who comes first? Caesar or God?
Who comes first in our hearts?
When it comes to abortion, I choose God. Not Caesar.
When it comes to euthanasia, I choose God. Not Caesar.
When it comes to conscience rights, I choose God. Not Caesar.
When it comes to the death penalty, I choose God, not Caesar.
Of course it is easy to talk about here. Sometimes the choice is not so easy. People have lost their jobs for their faith. People have been ridiculed and insulted for their faith.
People have died for their faith.
What do we think we owe God?
Our lives?
I think our answers tell us where our heart lives.

Dear Lord, thank you for the gift of life. Thank you for the freedom you have given me to choose to love you. Help me make the right choices. Help me to choose for you, even when it seems too difficult. Even when I feel afraid. Amen.

6 comments :

Michael said...

Colleen: Thanks for taking a passage I have heard a thousand times and giving me a new way to ponder it.

God Bless you!

Connie Arnold said...

Life is full of hard choices but choosing God is always the right choice!

Colleen said...

Michael, glad you read a new reflection to ponder! It is awesome when that happens.

Connie, amen to that. Thanks.

Mary N. said...

You're so right, sometimes the choices aren't easy. These days it would probably be much easier to be "a crowd pleaser" and choose Caesar. But not in the long run! Great post, Colleen! (I swear the rhymes were an accident, so go easy on me ;)

I hope you are doing okay - I know that this has been a difficult time for you and your family and you are in my prayers.

Colleen said...

Mary, thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, I am doing OK. I have moments when I am not fine. Grief is like that. Up and down. But the consolation for me is that my sister is not suffering any more. God bless!

Mary N. said...

Thank you, Lord. She had plenty of that here. Now it's His turn to wipe every tear from her eye.
God bless you too!