Sunday, November 30, 2014

Be Watchful!

Be watchful! Be alert! – Mark 13:33
Watch. Be alert.
It is now advent, the time that we wait.
We wait for the coming of the Messiah into our hearts.
We say - Come, Lord Jesus, come. Like he is not here already. Like He has left us.
Jesus, of course, never leaves us. But we leave Him. We set our attention on other things, and then wonder where He has gone.
We get all caught up in Christmas shopping and Christmas gifts and decorating and parties, that when we finally take a moment to breathe, we feel as if Jesus is absent.
Jesus never left. We did.
Our best chance of finding God is to look in the place where we left him.  - Meister Eckhart
So it is time to place ourselves again in Jesus’ presence. We pray. We place ourselves in that cave in Bethlehem. We go on a pilgrimage to our hearts.
And that is where we find Him. In our hearts. Where He has been all along.
Advent reminds us to wait. Advent reminds us to pray. Advent reminds us that Jesus is coming and yet, is still with us. Present everyday.
Emmanuel. God with us.
Be alert.
Watch.

Dear Lord, help me to live in the present moment and to be more alert to your presence in my heart and my life always. Help me to not get all caught up in the Christmas shopping frenzy. Remind me to visit the Bethlehem of my heart today and everyday. I love you, Jesus. Amen.

4 comments :

Karin said...

These are beautiful thoughts and reminders for the start of Advent, Colleen. I love Meister Eckhardt's quote.
Wishing you a blessed Advent season.
Hugs & Blessings!

Colleen said...

Thank you, Karin! Have a blessed advent!

Jean Wise said...

beautiful words and great Eckhart quote.

Colleen said...

Thanks Jean. I love that quote, too.