Thursday, November 6, 2014

Emptiness

I have that empty feeling. I have had it since my sister died. And I try to fill it with stuff. Anything that will make the emptiness go away. Maybe a new book or a new blouse or even a new ipad.
I need to try to resist filling the emptiness with stuff. I need to fill the empty moments, the empty feelings, with God.
All Souls’ Day helped. Listening to those readings. The psalm.
“The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.”
I shall not want. I need nothing else. I only need the Lord. My shepherd.
Oh my. Could the meaning for me be any clearer?
Oh, the emptiness persists but I find myself feeling OK about it. I know that the feeling of emptiness is a reminder of my need for God. And that reminds me of the Lord’s love and presence with me … always.
He refreshes my soul.

11 comments :

Victor S E Moubarak said...

May I fill some of your emptiness with a special prayer for you today?

God bless.

Sue Elvis said...

Colleen,

I have been praying for you and your sister. I'm sorry you lost your sister and you're now grieving. Yes, such an empty feeling. I remember that from my own grief. There didn't seem to be anything I could do about it except keep trusting and praying. God felt so far away but I know He was there right beside me. Yes, we need God alone. May you feel God's comfort and may Mary wrap you in her mantle. God bless.

Colleen said...

Victor, absolutely! Thank you so much!

Sue, thank you for your prayers and for sharing. God bless!

Nancy Shuman said...

I'm adding my prayers to Victor's and Sue's. God bless and comfort you.

Colleen said...

Nancy, thank you so much.

Michael said...

Colleen - I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers.

Colleen said...

Michael, thank you! I appreciate the prayers. God bless.

Debra said...

Colleen, So very sorry to hear ablout your sister's passing. Love and prayers, Debra

Colleen said...

Debra
Thank you so much! God bless!

Mary N. said...

I stuff my grief and sadness too, Colleen - I catch myself doing this a lot. Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts here. May God fill you with His peace.

Colleen said...

Mary, thank you so much. I am giving an advent retreat in a few weeks and guess what the theme is? Peace. God's timing.