Sunday, November 9, 2014

My Father's House

"He made a whip out of cords and drove them all out of the temple area, with the sheep and oxen, and spilled the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables, and to those who sold doves he said, “Take these out of here, and stop making my Father’s house a marketplace." - John 2:15-16
Jesus becomes angry because of the irreverent practices that were taking place in God’s house of prayer. How can we be more reverent when attending Mass?
My parish held its first Masses in a school for about 5 years near the property where we would eventually build our church. I often noted, when walking into this public school building, that I would instantly become quiet and reverent. So did my family. And so did most everyone else.
This would happen even before Mass started. There was no Blessed Sacrament present at the time. Yet people would quiet down and act reverently.
It is more than a building when a place has been designated to have a Catholic Mass. It is more than a building. More than brick and glass and furniture.
It is a place of worship.
It is the Father's house.

Lord, help me to remember to be reverent at all times in your Father's house. Never let me forget that you are always present there - in others, in Scripture, in the Blessed Sacrament and in our hearts. Amen.

2 comments :

Michael said...

Excellent reminder Colleen!

God Bless you!

Colleen said...

Thank you, Michael! God bless you, too!