Sunday, November 16, 2014

Share Your Master's Joy

Come share your Master's joy. – Matthew 25:21

What if we buried our gifts? What if we didn’t use the gifts God gave us?
I wonder about that every time I hear someone who sings like an angel…
I wonder about that every time I see a painting that touches my heart…
I wonder about that every time I hear a speaker who moves me … or hear a homily that inspires me or listen to a teacher who challenges me.
We are all given gifts. Sometimes we are too afraid to share them. Or we think we are not worthy to use them. So we hide them.
But we are not given gifts so we can bury them. We are given gifts to use them and to help others.

As each one has received a gift, use it to serve one another as good stewards of God’s varied grace. Whoever preaches, let it be with the words of God; whoever serves, let it be with the strength that God supplies, so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. - 1 Peter 4:10-11a

What if my spiritual director had hidden his gifts of spiritual direction and compassion and healing? He is the one who helped me to discover and use my own gifts.
What about the people who have come to me for spiritual direction? Has God used me to help them discover their gifts?
When we use our gifts to serve one another, they grow.
When we do not use our gifts, when we bury them … what happens then?

Dear Lord, help me to recognize the gifts you have given me and give me the courage to use them according to your will. May I always use these gifts to glorify you and give you praise. Amen.

3 comments :

Michael said...

Colleen, you raise a very good point. The first step is realizing what our talents are!

God Bless you!

Jean Wise said...

great questions to ponder, Colleen. I think all our lives we need to reflect, discern and discover - like taking one layer off at a time - a layer of fear, a layer of ego, a layer of doubt - and explore the wonderful truth inside each of us. You always inspire me to dig a little deeper. Thank you.

Colleen said...

Michael, thank you for your comment and your visit!

Jean, amen! Well said. I think the spiritual journey is all about pealing off the layers.