Sunday, November 23, 2014

Welcome Each Person as Christ

And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’  Matthew 25:40

When I read or hear this gospel, I often think of this quote from the Rule of St. Benedict: "All guests who present themselves are to be welcomed as Christ, for he himself will say: I was a stranger and you welcomed me (Matt 25:35).”
And he doesn’t just mean that we are to be hospitable. He means we are to accept each person as they are. We are to treat each person with love and humility.
We are to treat each person as God treats us.
Each person, not just Christians.
Each person, not just the orphaned or the poor.
Each person, including ourselves.
We are all to be welcomed as Christ.
There is an old rabbinic story about angels that walk in front of human beings, calling out “Make way for the image of God! Make way for the image of God!”
Do we see each other in that way? Do we see ourselves in that way?
What would change if we did?
What would change in this world if we really saw – in each other - the presence of Christ?

Dear Lord, I wish to see You in all people. I want to remember that I am made in your image and I belong to You, but I get wrapped up in the world. Help me, Lord, to see you in everyone I meet. Help me to love like you love. Amen.

4 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I've been thinking a lot about this very topic lately. If parents would train their kids to see themselves and others as precious images of God and to treat each other as such, a whole lot of evil would not happen.

Colleen said...

Barb, thank you! I agree.

Jean Wise said...

Certainly is the way I want to see others but fail so often. I prayed this prayer right along with you. Thanks for a clear reminder on how to live.

Colleen said...

Jean, I fail too often as well. But it is good to be reminded, eh?