Sunday, December 7, 2014

Straight Paths

A voice of one crying out in the desert:
‘Prepare the way of the Lord,
make straight his paths.’”
John [the] Baptist appeared in the desert proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. (Mark 1:3-4)


There is a lot going on during advent.
There is the busy stuff as we prepare for Christmas. The gift buying, the decorating, the wrapping, the hustle and the bustle.
But there is the spiritual stuff, too. At least we hope there is. We Christians try to keep Christ in Christmas the best we can.
There is the Advent Giving tree so we can give to those less fortunate.
There are the prayer services and the advent wreath and the daily reflections and Masses and other devotions.
One Catholic church near me is doing a Taize service which I am interested in attending.
Advent is also a time of penance. Our parish has a penance service, which I always try to attend. It is a joyful celebration of the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
This year, as in past years, I will struggle to do less busy things and do more preparing for the Lord. More making paths straight. More repenting.
I never totally succeed. But maybe the success is in the trying and the struggles. Maybe each year I succeed just a little more in letting go of the busy-ness of advent. And holding onto what  - who - makes this season so important.
Jesus.

Dear Lord, help me to stop the busy running around and sit with you. Help me to prepare for your coming into my heart, into my world. I am sorry for the times I get too busy to notice you. Help me stay on a straight path to you. Amen.

7 comments :

Michael said...

Hope you are having a blessed Advent!

God Bless.

Colleen said...

Thanks Michael. You too!

Jean Wise said...

I have felt such a call to stillness now and for the coming year. So I am doing less. Hard sometimes to decide between what is right and near right, isn't it. May you find some peace and stillness this Advent, Colleen

Colleen said...

Jean, the same to you! I agree - it is hard deciding how much to do but I think doing less is a great idea.

Michael Seagriff said...

I have heard this very wise advice many times. When dear Lord, will I listen? Thank you Colleen for another timely reminder.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I feel Advent as a journey with Mary. She seems so present to me in this season. And because of the fracas in the recent synod of the family, I am quite obsessed with the Holy Family, living as a holy family, how to come to perfection within the family. It seems that I'm drawing more into quiet time to ponder all this. Thanks for the prompt, Colleen.

Colleen said...

Michael Seagriff, I needed the reminder too!

Barb, ahhhh. Wonder what the Holy Spirit is up to in your life! God bless.