Friday, January 2, 2015

Once Upon A Time

I look out at the night sky, filled with stars. I remember my father, when I was a little girl, teaching me about constellations. I have never forgotten those nights we stood at the end of the driveway and looked up at the sky.
It is a one of the few happy memories of time spent with my father. One that has stayed with me my whole life. I think God helps me to remember those times so I will remember there was another side to my father. 

Once upon a time there was a man who knew how to show his daughter he loved her. A father who taught her about the stars in the sky. Once upon a time.
I know a different Father now. A Father who loves me all the time. A Father who made the heavens and the earth. A Father who put those stars up in the sky, to show his daughter how much He loves her. Not just once upon a time.
Every day and forever.

4 comments :

Mary N. said...

This is so beautifully written, Colleen! Wow!

Happy New Year!

(Phew...I passed the "robot test". Always worried I'll flunk it one day ;)

Colleen said...

Thank you Mary! Happy new Year! (I always worry about the robot thing too!!)
:)

Barb Schoeneberger said...

A really beautiful reflection. What makes gravely disordered relationships so difficult is that there is always some positive component to them such as you've described here. Then we are confused, especially the child, who is then thrown into doubt about whether he is really loved, what love means, and who is to be trusted. I think we are hard wired to trust our parents even when they sin against us, and then we spend quite a long time as adults sorting out the truth and being able to forgive.

Fortunately, as you've noted, we have a heavenly Father who never makes a mistake in how He treats us, and whose love is something we can continue to discover for eternity. What a great adventure!

Happy New Year and may you be showered with many blessings.

Colleen said...

Barb, you are so wise and you are absolutely right. I did sometimes get confused between the nice father I knew and the abuser. And it is hard to sort it all out. There are so many layers and so many complications to the "story."