Sunday, February 8, 2015

A Deserted Place to Pray

Rising very early before dawn, he left and went off
to a deserted place, where he prayed.  - Mark 1:35

Jesus preached in the synagogue.
Jesus healed Peter’s mother-in-law.
Jesus drove out some demons.
Jesus went by himself to pray.
Then he started all over again.
He went to preach and heal and drive out demons.
Jesus was faithful to his prayer life. And he knew he could not do all of this without prayer, not without talking to His Father. Not without taking time alone to just be with God, to listen to God, to renew Himself, to learn God’s will.
And in doing so, Jesus shows us the way.
One of my favorite scripture verses:
I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me. – Ephesians 4:13
Whenever I am tempted to think I can manage on my own strength, I am reminded of this.
And I know I need only to look at Jesus.
And pray.

Dear Lord, thank you for showing me the way. Teach me to pray and help me to pray every day. Amen.

2 comments :

Faith said...

Believe it or not, my special place is my car. My best praying is there when I'm alone.

Colleen said...

Faith, when I used to commute 40 minutes to work, it was my favorite place too!