Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Jesus Heals

I took the day off from work today and went to our diocesan cathedral for a Mass for child abuse victims. Our bishop gave a wonderful homily. He has done this Mass for several years now and I find it quite moving and also very healing. 
Healing as a Catholic who has suffered much from the church's sexual abuse crisis. 
Healing of my own pain as a survivor of child sexual abuse. 
Healing from the loss of my sister who died last October from long term effects of PTSD and clinical depression (related to the child sexual abuse she suffered). 
So where did I see Jesus today?
I saw him in the bishop and in the Mass. I heard him in the prayers and the songs. I saw him in my loving husband who got up early with me and drove me to the cathedral and sat with me (we deacons' wives often sit alone, but not today.)

And I felt Jesus in the peace that came over me in the middle of Mass and has stayed with me all day. Even now. 
Still.


April is Child Abuse Awareness Month. Educate yourselves about child sexual abuse. Find out what your church is doing in this area. Find out what your schools and community are doing.
Sexual abuse is in all segments of society.
And the victims are real people. 
Like my sister.
And me.
 

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

2 comments :

Michael said...

Thank you for sharing this moving post. God bless you and your church!

Colleen said...

Michael, thank you. God bless!