Sunday, May 17, 2015

Ascension

So then the Lord Jesus, after he spoke to them, was taken up into heaven and took his seat at the right hand of God. - Mark 16:19
I do not like goodbyes. I have never liked them.
I remember the day that my oldest son left home. He was 21 years old. He was getting married and he was moving to another city. He was moving out AND moving away.
I cried for days.
Eventually I would come to realize that while life with my son had changed, it had not ended. Our relationship had just gone on to a new place, a new beginning.
I wonder if the disciples felt the same way when Jesus ascended into heaven. He had just returned from the tomb. Now they were saying goodbye again. Did they beg him not to leave them? Did they wonder if they would ever see him again?
Jesus promised they would not be alone. Did they trust in that promise?
Jesus told them to proclaim the gospel to every creature. Did they have faith that he would help them?
When did they know that their relationship had not ended, but instead had changed to a new place, a new beginning?

Dear Lord, thank you for your presence in our lives. Help me to be aware of your presence in all things. Help me to spread the Good News. I love you, Jesus. Amen.


No comments :