Sunday, May 24, 2015

Pentecost

"When the Advocate comes whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth that proceeds from the Father, he will testify to me. And you also testify, because you have been with me from the beginning." - John 15:26:27

One of the things that always amazes me about Pentecost is the drastic change in the Apostles after they received the Holy Spirit.
Before that day, they were too afraid to admit they even knew Jesus, never mind start preaching about him. 
After Pentecost, everything changed. Overnight these men who had run away when Jesus was arrested, suddenly became fearless witnesses. No longer afraid of their own arrest or crucifixion, they testified and gave witness to the Truth.
And through the power of the Holy Spirit, they changed the world.
The Holy Spirit has a way of doing that. Changing people, I mean. I can look back through my life and my own faith journey and see my own conversions. And be just as amazed.
I am an incest survivor, who once kept that secret for years and now I share about that part of my life in order to testify to God's healing love.
I am an introvert, who prefers silence and solitude and yet loves giving retreats and witness talks, sharing more personal details of my life.
And while I give witness, I know the Holy Spirit is working through me because I feel such joy, that kind of joy that only comes from God.
In fact, it often makes me laugh when I see how God has led me to do things that at one time I would never have considered doing.
I wonder if the Apostles laughed, too.

Dear Lord, thank you for the gifts of your Spirit. Thank you for sending us your Advocate to guide us and give us courage to witness to your presence in our lives and in our world. Help us to always give witness to the Truth. Amen.

2 comments :

Michael said...

God Bless you for telling your story and preaching His love. As you noted, this is what He wants us to do!

Colleen said...

Thank you, Michael. God bless.