Sunday, July 12, 2015

Trust in the Lord

He instructed them to take nothing for the journey but a walking stick—no food, no sack, no money in their belts.  - Mark 6:8

Jesus sends his disciples out to heal people. He doesn’t give them any tools to do this. Only a walking stick.
It seems rather scary to me. No food? No money? How can they possibly do what He wants them to do? How will they eat? How will they buy what they need?
And just how are they to heal people and drive out demons? They haven't had any training yet.
Are they supposed to just trust that he will provide for them?
Exactly.
Trust. Not an easy thing.
Reminds me of when my spiritual director first told me that he thought I was being called to be a spiritual director. I had not had any formal training at the time. Just the signs of being called. The call to be a spiritual director and put my trust in the Lord. The call to put my trust in the Holy Spirit who is the real director.
That is when I first understood that saying - God does not call the qualified. God qualifies the called.
It is God's work to heal. We can, however, be His instruments.
All we need to do is to let go of our useless burdens and allow God to work through us.
And trust.

Dear Lord, I long to do your will. I long to do what you are calling me to do, but that trust thing gets pretty scary. Please help me to let go of fear and other burdens that get in my way. Help me to trust you and to be confident that you are by my side. Amen.

2 comments :

Michael said...

Great post, Colleen. Too often we do not do something because we don't think we aren't ready for it. We forget to put our faith in Jesus, and let Him drive! God Bless you!

Colleen said...

Michael

Thank you for your visit and comment! God bless!