Sunday, August 9, 2015

Help Me Believe

"Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.
 I am the bread of life. " - John 6:47-48 

I remember very clearly one of my first appointments with my spiritual director. I remember telling him something negative about myself. I had rather low self-esteem at the time and I often put myself down.

When I finished my self-criticism, Father told me something that I will never forget. He reminded me of the Indwelling of the Trinity. He said that I should not put myself down in such a manner. You need to treat yourself with more respect, he said.

"Our Lord doesn't come down from heaven every day just to wait there in a gold ciborium: He has found a much better heaven for His resting place: a Christian soul, made in His own image, the living temple of the Blessed Trinity." - St. Therese of Lisieux

I ponder the mystery of the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. I love and adore the Eucharist. What a blessed gift!

But I often forget that Jesus also dwells within me, nourishing me every day. Or is it that I have a hard time believing it? It doesn't seem that I could be worthy, does it? To be a tabernacle for the Lord?

I mean, do I really get it? Do I understand  - what Jesus is telling us?

Which brings us back to faith.  "Whoever believes …"

Fr. John Kavanaugh, in his reflection on this reading, inspired my reflection here with this quote: "Our problem is not just believing that God could inhabit bread. It is believing that God could inhabit us."

Jesus, the Bread of Life. Help me believe.

2 comments :

Michael said...

Love this post Colleen! What a great perspective! God Bless you.

Colleen said...

Thank you, Michael. I thought a lot about it at Mass today and I felt so thankful! And that is what Mass (the Eucharist) means right? Giving thanks. God is good!