Sunday, August 16, 2015

Hunger and Thirst

"I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.” - John 6:51
I have heard stories of villages in South America where they only see a priest once a year. When that day comes, everything shuts down for the day and the whole village comes out to attend Mass and to receive the Eucharist.
The Mass lasts for hours as the people never want it to end. The priest preaches and the people sing and dance as they celebrate the gift that they have received.
Talk about hunger and thirst.
One of my favorite quotes is from St Augustine - "You have made us for yourself and our hearts are restless until they rest in you."
Long before I had such a personal relationship with Jesus, I was restless. I was hungry. I was thirsty. I was searching.
And then I met Jesus. 
I had heard about Jesus before, but this Jesus I had come to know in the breaking of the bread was Real. This Jesus was Love. This Jesus was nourishment. Real food and drink.
This Jesus gave me life.
I pray to God that I never take the Eucharist for granted.

Dear Lord, help me to never take you for granted. Help me to appreciate your gift of the Eucharist. Help me to never lose the hunger I have for you. Thank you, Lord, for giving us Yourself. Amen.

3 comments :

Michael said...

What a moving example! If only we all had that kind of zeal for mass and for the Eucharist every time we receive it! I join you in praying that we never take it for granted. God Bless you.

Susan Kelly said...

I love the st. Augustine quotation. How true!

Colleen said...

Susan, I have always loved the quote, too. Looking back on my old life I can see that! Thanks for your comment!