Sunday, August 2, 2015

The Bread of Life

"Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you." - John 6:27

When my husband had major surgery, he had no choice but to go through it all and I had no choice but to watch. Watch and stay with him.
We were being led where we did not want to go.
And how do we survive such a crisis as this? How do we hold onto our sanity and our hope? Not easy when you are in the middle of such a nightmare. Not easy.
It was hard for me to pray during this crisis. I just could not find the words. But people came to the hospital and brought us communion and that became the prayer.
The Bread of Life became our food.
Faith is not an easy thing. Faith that we are not alone. Faith in the Lord that he is with us through it all, even the darkest of days.
It would be so easy to hold onto the things of this world, to hold onto the food that perishes. But that would not have helped me survive. That would not have helped me hold on from moment to moment.
It was faith in Jesus that carried me through. Faith that I was not alone. Faith that I would be sustained by the Bread of Life. No matter what happened. No matter the outcome.
No matter where we were led.

Dear Lord, thank you for the gift of yourself. Thank you for the gift of faith. Help us to hold onto that faith and to believe that you are the Bread of Life. That you are all we need. Amen.

No comments :