Sunday, September 6, 2015

Jesus Opens Hearts

[Jesus] looked up to heaven and groaned, and said to him, “Ephphatha!” (that is, “Be opened!”) And [immediately] the man’s ears were opened, his speech impediment was removed, and he spoke plainly.” – Mark 7:34-35
And he spoke plainly.
It is hard to speak out sometimes. Especially in an atmosphere of hostility. Or an atmosphere of ignorance. Or both.
It is hard to speak out when we are in the minority and we take the unpopular stance.
It is hard to speak out when we feel alone. Or afraid. Or we think no one will believe us.
I knew all about what it meant to be silenced. To feel closed in.
But when I no longer felt alone … when I knew Jesus was with me, I was able to speak.
Jesus opened my heart and I let Him in. And I spoke plainly.
We need our hearts opened. We need our voices set free. We need our fears removed. We need to speak plainly.
Jesus heals. We know that. And Jesus opens up hearts. We know that too.
Ephphatha!
Be opened!

Dear Lord, help me to let go of my fear. Open me up to your presence and your love. Open me up to speak out when necessary and spread your Word to others who need to hear it. Help to be one of your Lights in the darkness. Amen.


3 comments :

Susan said...

I like how you said, "when we feel we are alone." As we never are alone for God is always with us.

Colleen said...

That is my favorite scripture verse = "I will be with you until the end of time."

Michael said...

Amen! I pray for that as well! God Bless you!