Sunday, November 1, 2015

Blessed are those who see God

"Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God." - Matthew 5:8

It is All Saints Day.
I am thinking of St. Therese of Lisieux. I have a strong devotion to her for many reasons, not the least of which was her spirituality of the Little Way.
In Story of a Soul, Therese writes about how badly she wanted to be a saint. She thought that was impossible. She was just, as she said, a little grain of sand.
But then she realized that "God cannot inspire unrealizable desires. I can, then, in spite of my littleness, aspire to holiness. It is impossible for me to grow up, and so I must bear with myself such as I am with all my imperfections. But I want to seek out a means of going to heaven by a little way ..." (Story of a Soul, ICS publications, 1996) 
I don't think St. Therese was concerned with being canonized or writing a book. Her desire was for God alone. She desired to be a saint because she longed to see His face. 

Lord, help me to follow you, to do your will. Help me to be little like St. Therese was little. Help me to be like her, humble and full of confidence in your loving mercy. Oh, Lord, I love you. And I long to see your face. Amen.

No comments :