Sunday, November 8, 2015

God Alone is Enough

"For they have all contributed from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had, her whole livelihood.”  - Mark 12:44
From her poverty, she contributed all she had.
She was not rich. She needed that money. But, from her poverty, she gave her all.
Very scary, the thought of giving all we have. Do we trust God enough? What will happen if I give all the money I have left at the end of the week? Will I go hungry? How about time or treasure?
What will happen if I give what little I have to the Lord? What will happen to me when I am left on my knees with nothing?
Do I trust the Lord enough?
I would like to think so but the thought scares me. Isn't the Lord enough for me? Do I need any of my time or talent or treasure if I do not have the Lord?
This makes me think of this famous quote from St. Teresa of Avila.

Let nothing trouble you. Let nothing make you afraid. All things pass away. God never changes. Patience obtains everything. God alone is enough.” – St. Teresa of Avila

Do I trust enough? Is God enough for me?
Of course, he is. Then why do I have such a difficult time letting go?
Dear Lord, please help me be generous in giving to others. Help me to be more trusting and to give from my poverty, my emptiness. May I remember, that you alone are all I need. Help me to let go, Lord. You alone are enough. Amen.

No comments :