Sunday, August 15, 2010

Assumption


“My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord.”
Those words from Mary in her Magnificat just touch my heart. I have sung those words myself. I have shouted to the mountaintops the glory of God. He has done such wondrous things in my life. And I just want to go and tell the whole world.
But just think about what Mary has to tell the world. Mary just hears the Annunciation and then, instead of thinking only of herself, she runs to Elizabeth. Elizabeth knows, somehow, that Mary is carrying the Son of God. Elizabeth’s own baby, John, leaps with joy within her.
And then Mary sings the praises of God. She takes no credit for being Chosen. For saying “Yes.” For believing that God can do the impossible.
She totally trusts that the Lord had spoken to her through an angel and that was enough for her to believe. And she gives Him all the glory.
And today, as we celebrate Mary’s Assumption into heaven, we realize that she continues to give God the glory, through her life, through her suffering, through her apparitions here in our world. She continues to sing His praises and to be our perfect role model.
And God continues to do the Impossible.
Glory be to God.

6 comments :

Connie Arnold said...

I'm always amazed and grateful that Mary accepted God's will in her life and because of her doing so, we are blessed with the joy of knowing Jesus! What a wonderful gift!

Colleen said...

Connie, I love your comment! Yes, she gave us a wonderful gift. God bless!

Anne said...

Yes, Glory to God! Mary gives us the perfect example of giving Him the glory!

Colleen said...

Anne, thank you! Yes, Mary does! Amen!

evanscove said...

I'm learning to appreciate and honor Mary more, since becoming Catholic. As a Protestant, I scarcely ever heard her name even mentioned--largely, as you can imagine, as a knee-jerk reaction to Catholicism's veneration of her.

Evan

Colleen said...

Evan, I know. I have had the same struggle. But I am growing closer to her. It has helped me to be able to turn to her with a mother's problems.