Monday, August 2, 2010

Favorite Prayer Meme

Mary from The Beautiful Gate tagged me on the Prayer Meme. Thank you, Mary!!
The rules for this meme are: 
Name your three favorite prayers and explain why they're your favorites. Then tag five other bloggers- give them a link and let them know they've been tagged. Finally, tell the person who tagged you that you have completed the meme. The Liturgy and the Sacraments are off limits here. 
As usual, I am going to break the rules by not tagging anyone. ALL who visit here are welcome to join in. I think this is a fun meme and it really made me think about my favorite prayers and why they are my favorites. So all may join in if you wish! Please let me know if you do!

My three favorite prayers:
1. Prayer of Abandonment, by Thomas Merton. I so often feel like he did when he wrote this prayer! And it reminds me to trust, no matter what.
2. Prayer of Surrender, by St. Ignatius. Gee, I wonder if my choices in prayer are saying something about me!! I obviously need help to surrender and trust.
3. The Jesus Prayer. My spiritual director once told me when I was depressed that this prayer was a great one to pray over and over all day. He told me that some even shorten it to "Jesus." The power in the Name. So I tried it, and it really helped me through a difficult time. I pray it whenever I need it, and even when I don't! 

Thomas Merton's Prayer of Abandonment
My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. 
I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. 
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. 
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you and I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing. 
And I know that if I do this, you will lead me by the right road although I may know nothing about it. 
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death, I will not fear, for you are ever with me and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
 
St. Ignatius' Prayer of Surrender
Take, O Lord, and receive my entire liberty, my memory, my understanding and my whole will. All that I am and all I possess You have given me: I surrender it all to You to be disposed of according to Your will. Give me only Your love and Your grace; with these I will be rich enough, and will desire nothing more.

The Jesus Prayer
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on me a sinner.

7 comments :

Karinann said...

Colleen,
These are wonderful prayers. I've always liked Thomas Merton's; sometimes I think I could just stop after "Lord I don't know where I am going." :)
Thanks for sharing your 3 favorites.
Hugs!

Anne said...

The prayer of St. Ignatius is so beautiful! I like the version sung by the Priests from St. Louis.

Colleen said...

Karinann, I agree with you about stopping after that first line!! lol. Hugs!

Anne, I have not heard that version. I will have to check it out! Thanks and blessings!

Mary333 said...

Great prayers, Colleen! I especially liked the Thomas Merton prayer - I could soooo relate to it. I'm not sure that I've ever heard that prayer before but it clearly puts into words how many people feel.

I'm getting the idea that people really like prayers of abandonment :)

Like you, I pray The Jesus Prayer a lot!

Colleen said...

Mary, thank you!! Yes, I think a lot of people feel the same as Merton. God bless!

Kay Carlson said...

Thanks so much for these comforting prayers. They are much appreciated. We so often need courage when life faces us with its huge challenges. These prayers seek the hope we know God can give us but we temporarily lose somehow.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Thanks for the Merton prayer. I've never seen it. Prayers of abandonment are so necessary because we all want to do our own will rather than trusting in God and doing His. I often catch myself being bullheaded and need the reminder that it is only God's will that counts.