Sunday, August 1, 2010

Guarding Against Greed

Then (Jesus) said to the crowd, “Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one’s life does not consist of possessions.” 
I recently purchased one of those smart-phones. I have wanted one for a long time but could not justify the expense.
But things have changed and it became necessary for me to have one. Or did it? Or did I just want it?
I don't think there is anything wrong with possessions themselves. It is our attachment that becomes the problem.
So I have done a lot of praying and pondering about this. And I had not come up with an answer that eased my mind very much. Until the day I showed one of my sons the apps I have on the phone. 
Other than the useful ones like email, phone, calendar and a things-to-do list, most of them were Catholic apps. There is the bible, the rosary, other prayers, the Divine Office,  the Roman Catholic calendar of saints, etc. Podcasts were almost all prayer related.
So, could I have done without this fancy phone? Well, I could certainly have done without it, but it has made my life easier. And has helped me with my prayer life believe it or not. I actually have an alarm that reminds me throughout the day to take a moment and just BE with God.
Am I attached? I do not think so right now. But I continually ask the question about this and other possessions.
I pray that my heart is in the right place.
I pray that I know where my treasure is.
For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be. (Matthew 6:21)
Dear Lord, help me to remember to put you first always. To remember that You Alone suffice. To be aware of where my treasure lies. Amen.

5 comments :

NotJustLaura said...

What a mature attitude you have towards your possessions. Mine is not so mature. How did you come to where you are now?

Karinann said...

Colleen,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences on this. I know sometimes I question my motives and decisions as well. That' s actually a good thing- it does show maturity but also cautiousness in guarding our hearts and in this non-stop techy world, our senses as well.
Glad you are using your new phone for good and for God :)
Hugs!

Connie Arnold said...

Your post reminds me of this morning's sermon about having things being more important in our lives than God. I have no doubt that your heart and treasure are in the right place!

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

Excellent, excellent post Colleen. I always have to remind myself of this too. I think we all deal with this. I smiled at the smart phone part though.My kids have told me that I've been eligible for a new free phone for 2 years now. That means I've had mine for 4 years. I like it, and it's easy for me. It is a bit big though. I just think those new smart phones are a bit too smart for me :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Colleen said...

NotJustLaura, thanks. As to your question, I can only say - God's grace. God bless!

Karinann, thank you! and you are right! It does show maturity and the knowledge that we need to always guard our hearts! Hugs!

Connie, thank you! God bless!

Marcia, it is good to know I am not alone. Thanks for the kind words. And your comment about your phone made me smile - my hubby feels the same way you do!! Blessings to you too!