Sunday, August 29, 2010

Humility Makes Us Real

For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted. -Luke 14:11
It is hard to talk about humility. What does it mean to be humble?  Here are some of my thoughts. 
The most humble people I have ever met were people who did not know they were humble. They just lived it. 
Humble people acknowledge their talents, accept others' compliments with grace and give God the thanks and the glory. 
Humble people know who they are and cooperate with the graces given to them by the Lord. 
Humble people know all things come from God. 
Humble people do not put themselves down, they raise others up. 
Having low self esteem for much of my life, I never knew how to take a compliment. It has taken me a long time to understand that humility is not about putting ourselves down. It is about self-understanding. 
I like this quote -

“Pride makes us artificial and humility makes us real” - Thomas Merton

So true.

If we are truly humble, then we are real. We see ourselves for who we are, accept ourselves as we are and accept others as they are as well. There is no need to compare ourselves to other people for we see that it no longer matters.

Because the good news is - we are all invited to the banquet.

image source-used with permission

13 comments :

Karinann said...

These are all wonderful definitions of humility. I love the quote by Merton as well- it made me think of the Velveteen Rabbit :)
Thanks for the beautiful post.
Hugs and blessings!

Colleen said...

Karinann, you are right!! The Velveteen Rabbit! Love it. Thanks. Hugs and God bless!

Colleen said...

Karinann, you are right!! The Velveteen Rabbit! Love it. Thanks. Hugs and God bless!

Barb, sfo said...

VERY nice! I'm going to save this one--so much to think about. Thank you!

Colleen said...

Barb, thank you. Glad you found some thoughts to ponder! God bless!

Debra said...

Absolutely a beautiful post on humility. Some days I think maybe I could use an extra dose of humility for sure. Blessings Colleen, hope you have a great Tuesday!

Colleen said...

Debra, thank you. I think we can ALL use that extra dose sometimes! God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Beautiful post. I've been thinking a lot about forgiveness as part of humility. You're right. We are all God's children and we are all invited to the banquet.

Mary333 said...

How strange...while reading this post my first thought was of The Velveteen Rabbit, too. Loved this post, Colleen.

Colleen said...

Mary, thank you. That "being real" comment really sticks with us, doesn't it? God bless!

Moonshadow said...

Very nice.

evanscove said...

How true! As I heard a Catholic priest say, "Pride is a lie." Or perhaps it's better to say that pride is based on a lie, or at least false perceptions of ourselves and others. The same can be said of false humility or low self-esteem. I too have struggled with emotional problems, including low self-esteem. I finally realized how foolish such thinking was.
I agree with Merton completely! Humility keeps us in reality.

Evan

Colleen said...

Moonshadow, thanks so much. God bless.

Evan, never thought of that - pride based on a lie - makes so much sense. False humility too. It is a lie to think I am worthless or no good. Thanks. Blessings!