Sunday, August 8, 2010

Much is Given

"Much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more." (Luke 12:48)
Since becoming Catholic, I have felt so blessed. My conversion experience, the gifts that God has given to me ... all have been beautiful and surprising and even mind-boggling at times (for want of a better word.)
My life has changed in so many ways. And my relationship with God has grown in so many ways, I could never have predicted it. Not any of it.
And so I often think of the scripture verse above. I often think that I have been given so much, and because of that I know so much is demanded of me.
I am not talking so much about DOING here. I am talking more about BEING.
I am talking about counting our blessings and loving God back.
I am talking about being a child of God and treating others like they are, too.
Is it enough to tell others what we believe if we do not live it?
We are not perfect. We are all sinners. God knows that.
But still, am I not supposed to bring Christ to others? Am I not supposed to BE Christ for others?
If we have been given so much, should we not be spreading the Good News? Rather than judging others, should we not be bringing the light of Christ to all the dark places?
Recently someone reminded me of the story about Gandhi. He was Hindu but he loved and admired Jesus and quoted Him often. Yet he never became Christian. Seems he tried to go to a Christian church once and was turned away because of the color of his skin.
So he never became Christian because he thought so many of us Christians were so unlike Christ.
We are blessed to know Jesus. Should we not spread that blessing around? Not by condemning. Not by judging. But by Love.
Oh Lord, help me to be your light for others to see. Help me to love as you love. Amen.

11 comments :

Karinann said...

Your post also made me think of God's words to Catherine of Siena- Go forth from this place of contemplation and bear fruit that will last.
You are so right- we need to live our faith in the presence of others.
Thanks for these beautiful thoughts Colleen.
God bless!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

"Oh Lord, help me to be your light for others to see. Help me to love as you love. Amen."

Amen indeed ... Amen.

God bless.

Colleen said...

Karinann, thank you for the quote from Catherine of Siena. Have a blessed Sunday!

Victor, thank you. God bless!

Connie Arnold said...

Beautiful post, Colleen! Being Christ for others is what being a Christian is truly about. Thanks for your reminder to love and be a light to others.

Colleen said...

Thank you, Connie! God bless!

Happy Catholic said...

Great post. It hurts to hear stories of un-Christian behavior by Christians, but then we are all sinners. One day at a time, and thank God for His mercy.

SO happy to hear of the joy your Catholic faith has brought to you.

Colleen said...

Happy Catholic - thank you for your comment. "One day at a time" - something I need reminding of frequently! God bless!

Jamey said...

Wonderful thought provoking post.

Colleen said...

Thank you Jamey, hope all is well.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

How sad for Ghandi. And how sad for the world. He lived a Christ-like life in many ways and I'm sure Jesus met him with open arms at death. This story shows how important it is that we always keep in mind we must not give scandal. Some people make fun of the WWJD bracelets young people wear, but I think often of "What would Jesus do?" for guidance.

Colleen said...

Barb, I so agree with you. I often think of what would Jesus do. I wore those bracelets for a while myself.
I also agree about how we must always think about not giving scandal.