Saturday, August 14, 2010

Praying the Psalms - Psalm 31

I just love the Psalms. And I love joining Jenny at Just A Minute in Praying the Psalms every Saturday. Won't you join us? This week is Psalm 31.
I am forgotten, out of mind like the dead; I am like a shattered dish.I hear the whispers of the crowd; terrors are all around me. They conspire against me; they plot to take my life. But I trust in you, LORD; I say, "You are my God." - Psalm 31:13-15
These verses amaze me. The psalmist feels like he is out of mind like the dead, like a shattered dish. And yet he says he trusts in the Lord. And then he ends this psalm with these words:
Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD. (v.25)
Hope is what makes it possible for the psalmist to say he trusted in the Lord.
Hope is what makes it possible for me to say I trust in the Lord.
I have been in that pit. I have felt like a shattered dish. But yet I hope. Not due to my own will. But as a gift from the Lord.
Hope.
And with that hope, I can say also - You are my God.

5 comments :

Lauralee said...

Hello. Just found your blog. Glad I did.

Barb said...

One of the great things about the psalms is how well they speak to the human condition. David is everyman and the example for everyman. What I love about this psalm are the ending verses. We can never be exhorted too much to trust in the Lord.

Colleen said...

Lauralee, thank you and welcome!!

Barb, I so agree with you. God bless!

Natalie said...

Beautiful, Colleen! Thank you for reminding us where to find true hope.

Colleen said...

Thanks Natalie, glad you liked it!