Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Love So Huge

We spent many weekends and vacations camping when my children were growing up. It was one of the best things we ever did as a family.
On one trip, when my oldest was only about 5, we went to a campground that was having a bluegrass festival. The campground was crowded and people were setting up in fields and shared campsites, etc.
Suddenly, I realized that my son was missing. We started yelling for him and checking out nearby campsites. As minutes ticked by, my fear grew and grew. I was about ready to panic when my husband shouted he had found him. Turns out my son was visiting a neighboring camper and none of them had heard us calling.
What relief! The joy was so great, that I couldn't even get angry that my son didn't tell me where he was. 
I think that is what God is trying to tell us through the parable of the Prodigal Son. He forgives and welcomes us home because His joy when we turn back to him, is too "huge."
Being a parent, I get that.
Lord, thank you for loving me with a love so huge, that you cannot NOT forgive, you cannot NOT love. No matter what. I am so grateful. Amen.
image source

4 comments :

Mary333 said...

That must have been frightening, Colleen! My daughter used to love to wander off when she was younger so I can relate to the fear you must have felt.
I loved the way you worded your prayer at the end "you cannot NOT forgive, you cannot NOT love". It stresses God's love and mercy so completely. Maybe if people understood that he could NEVER turn away from one of his children they would trust him more. Great reflection!
I hope your retreat went well :)

Anne said...

I've lost children too. It's a huge relief to find them again, and a huge relief to know that no matter how we may mess up, God will always forgive and love us!

Colleen said...

Mary, thanks so much. My retreat went great!!

Anne, Amen!!

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Yep, I think being a parent does help us understand that parable. And losing a child, even for a few minutes, is a terribly frightening experience. Gets the adrenaline pumping overtime.