Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sabbath Moments - In My Sleep

Sabbath moments are the moments we rest in God, when we take time to just Be with God rather than Do. Sabbath moments are those times when we live in the moment and find the holy in the ordinary. I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below. If you don't have a blog, please share about it in a comment!
I have had an exhausting week. All I could do everyday when I came home from work was just sit in my favorite living room chair.
I wrote very little and I prayed very little (except to say Help)! All I could do was fall asleep in front of the television. And then I would crawl into bed sometime in the middle of the night. Or early morning.
I remember when I went on a week's silent retreat once. My spiritual director there told me on the very first day to be sure to get plenty of rest during the week, including taking some naps!
She explained to me that the Holy Spirit can work in us even when we are sleeping.
And of course scripture backs her up on that:
I was sleeping but my heart kept vigil. (Song of Songs 5:2)
To eat bread earned by hard toil - all this the Lord gives to his beloved in sleep. (Psalm 127:2b)
So sometimes sleep may be the sabbath moment we need the most - the rest, the doing nothing, the trusting that God is working in us even as we snooze.

8 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

These are comforting Bible verses for those of us who have serious health challenges and go through periods of exhaustion. I hope the coming week will not be so tiring.

karinann said...

Colleen,
Hope this finds you feeling well rested :) When I first began going on silent retreats, my spiritual director told me the same thing- about listening to our bodies and resting when we need to. The last 2 years I have done the retreat privately, but I still take her advice. Yes I do believe our hearts do keep vigil.
Thanks for sharing your sabbath moments.
Hugs and blessings!

Colleen said...

Barb, I agree that these verses are comforting. Thanks!

Karinann, I am not surprised we had the same experience with "rest." I also go on private retreats now. I started viewing my sessions with the director as interruptions in my silence! Hugs!

evanscove said...

I'm glad to hear that these retreat directors aren't emphasizing asceticism but listening to your bodies' needs. On Sunday afternoons, just before taking a nap, my dad would joke that he was going to "lay before the Lord." ;-) But actually, that's probably a good idea for a lot of us. We need to our minds and bodies to be refreshed so we can be alert enough to recognize spiritual insights.

Evan

Colleen said...

Evan, I think your dad had the right idea! I think caring for ourselves and our bodies' needs is caring for God's creation. Caring for the temple of the Holy Spirit!

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

Whenever I go out to nature, I almost always fall asleep before my mind actually quiets. I used to fight it, but now I realize sleep is the doorway to being still.

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

I simply LOVE this.
I mean...I REALLY love it.
Although I'm sorry you have been so fatigued...I just find it SO beautiful how RESTING and even SLEEPING became a Sabbath Moment for you. What you have said (and validated by Scripture) seems so simple; and yet, it is truly profound...that the almighty God we serve is SO great and wonderful...that He keeps tending to us and molding our spirits...even as we sleep!!!! This brought me SUCH comfort today, Colleen....thank you!

Colleen said...

Kathleen, I love that - "sleep is the doorway to being still." Amen.

Judy, so glad to have brought you comfort. I agree that this is awesome! Our God is awesome! I would never have known this without that spiritual director saying something. So I try to pass it on.